INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Happy Towel Day!

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
gentle_dissident

Happy Towel Day!

#1 Post by gentle_dissident » May 25th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Alan H

Re: Happy Towel Day!

#2 Post by Alan H » May 25th, 2016, 5:42 pm

Always worth watching... I've just listened to Douglas Adams on Desert Island Discs.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » May 25th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Alan H wrote:Always worth watching... I've just listened to Douglas Adams on Desert Island Discs.
ETA: I do prefer the original TV series though...
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » May 25th, 2016, 6:38 pm

Er, I get a "This video is not avsilable" message to that link.

Later: thought so, got the original radio series on BBC cassettes. Now, wonder if I still have a cassette player . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

gentle_dissident

#5 Post by gentle_dissident » May 26th, 2016, 2:43 am

Dave B wrote:thought so, got the original radio series on BBC cassettes. Now, wonder if I still have a cassette player . . .
I can send you a cassette player. They're here as MP3.
http://www.induceddyslexia.com/hitchhiker.htm

I've had a good time reminding some Oklahomans about Adams, but tonight, it's The Meaning of Life.

gentle_dissident

#6 Post by gentle_dissident » May 26th, 2016, 5:09 am

I was just reading in the "Save the BBC" thread, that the BBC doesn't take kindly to the British viewing BBC offline. Should I remove the link?

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » May 26th, 2016, 5:47 am

gentle_dissident wrote:I was just reading in the "Save the BBC" thread, that the BBC doesn't take kindly to the British viewing BBC offline. Should I remove the link?
It's not illegal yet!

I will no longer be able to use the iPlayer, 4 On Demand etc soon because I do not habe a licence. However I do not see how this can extend the ban to stuff on tbe BBC Youtube channel, they have placed that in tbe public domain. They may, of course, close that channel...

It seems one may need an account to watch any kind of catch-up TV, probably requiring the input of a valid TV licence number. Perhaps they will have a "pay-per-view" system for non-lincensees.

Since I have not missed watching TV in the past 12 years and viewed things on iPlayer less than once a month . . . Most of the videos I watch are old sci-fi and fantasy ones, made when the story, casting and directing was at least as important as the special effects! And not that many of them, books are still better.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » May 26th, 2016, 6:17 am

Hoping the ban on TV catchup watching does not extend to the radio player. Or, horror of horrors, it being made illegal to listen to the radio without a TV licence. Not sure I can live without "Clue", News Quiz, Heresy and other comedy progs. I would pay a reasonable "radio licence" to retain that right! A quid a month should cover it proportionally :D

Still getting "not available" on the link.
Me, 2015

gentle_dissident

#9 Post by gentle_dissident » May 26th, 2016, 7:30 am

Dave B wrote:Hoping the ban on TV catchup watching does not extend to the radio player. Or, horror of horrors, it being made illegal to listen to the radio without a TV licence. Not sure I can live without "Clue", News Quiz, Heresy and other comedy progs. I would pay a reasonable "radio licence" to retain that right! A quid a month should cover it proportionally :D

Sorry, I see it embedded in the thread. Could it be blocked by region?

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » May 26th, 2016, 7:33 am

gentle_dissident wrote:
Dave B wrote:Hoping the ban on TV catchup watching does not extend to the radio player. Or, horror of horrors, it being made illegal to listen to the radio without a TV licence. Not sure I can live without "Clue", News Quiz, Heresy and other comedy progs. I would pay a reasonable "radio licence" to retain that right! A quid a month should cover it proportionally :D

Yes, got the embed OK, block at Youtube.

Alan, could you access it?
Me, 2015

gentle_dissident

#11 Post by gentle_dissident » May 26th, 2016, 7:37 am

Sounds like the BBC is turning into Netflix. I don't have a problem paying Netflix for commercial free content. We lost a doctor, but we gained a midwife.

Alan H

#12 Post by Alan H » May 26th, 2016, 9:26 am

Dave B wrote:
gentle_dissident wrote:

Yes, got the embed OK, block at Youtube.

Alan, could you access it?
Yes, not on here, but simply clicking the link to take me to youtube. I use Zenmate VPN but was on a UK IP address at the time.
Alan Henness