INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

New websites: There probably is, there probably isn't...

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Maria Mac
Site Admin

New websites: There probably is, there probably isn't...

#1 Post by Maria Mac » November 22nd, 2008, 10:26 am

{A few posts split from the Atheist Bus Campaign thread - admin}

From The Church Times

"Talking of new sites, There probably is (http://www.thereprobablyis.com) has been set up to counteract the Atheist bus advert campaign. The site features stories by various Christians explaining why they believe what they do. From the "about" page:

This website has been put together by the Evangelism and Outreach Team of Lichfield Diocese in order to present an opportunity for individuals to explore the other side of the debate arising out of the Atheist Bus and Poster campaign."

The contributions by Christians are reassuringly predictable if harrowing in certain cases:
I believe in God because he has saved my life by showing me hell!
When i was thirteen I was raped at knife point, and that started my downward spiral. Through the following years I battled with so many things, abbusive relationships, suicide attempts, eating disorders, drugs, soliciting, self harm, the list goes on. My mum and step-dad showed nothing but support and tried every way they could think of to help me. People started to give up on me, my friends and family thought I was beyond saving.
I had met two youth workers through my troubled years and they indirectly saved me, they told me about church. It interested me, I had so much anger and thought that this would be the perfect oppertunity to let all these 'so-called' christians just what THEIR GOD let people go through. I started going regulaly, and started talking to people about my past. I realised that maybe God had put these things in my life for a reason!- although I wasn't sure why.
Most things didnt change over night, but through the support of my church and God I managed to pull my life back on track. I got the confidence to apply for a job, which I got straight away! Then I met my husband... but my life had begun to slip again, I got back on the drugs, and i was giving up again, then i discovered I was pregnant, despite being told I would have problems trying to conceive, and being on the pill!! Only God knew that this was what I needed, I gave up everything that was bad for me straight away, and started praying everday again.
I am now a happy 20 year old mother and wife, and work full time. Although i dont go to church every week, i pray everyday. I am still not sure God has shown me why I went through what I did, but I know in my heart that my experience will help me or someone else one day!!!
Isn't God awesome? :rolleyes:

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

Re: The Atheist Bus Campaign - is it a good use of money?

#2 Post by gregory » November 22nd, 2008, 12:09 pm

The Christians probably let this young woman express her anger etc regarding her situation which is generally considered necessary. Of course these days there are rape crisis counsellors but possibly not enough of them
There'll be blue birds over
The white cliffs of Dover

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#3 Post by Maria Mac » November 22nd, 2008, 12:31 pm

That was my first thought, gregory, but I don't think it totally explains it. This assault took place only seven years ago when there were actually more rape crisis services than there are today and Victim Support offered an even better service to rape victims. Assuming this assault was reported, she is likely to have been offered all the talk therapy she needed. It may be that simply wasn't willing or able to accept whatever help was offered to her at that age.

I'm stunned at her extraordinary reasoning about god letting her go through that for 'a reason'.

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#4 Post by gregory » November 29th, 2008, 10:13 am

Rape Crisis isn't always effective I agree it will depend on various things.

It sounds more like a Buddhist thing to say that the rape was for a reason as some Buddhists believe that a person chosses to go through various trials in order to achieve Nivana or something.

A reason why this may be something within the Christian religion may be something to do with the saying "All these things are sent to try us" something to do with being worthy for heaven, some sort of test.
There'll be blue birds over
The white cliffs of Dover

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: New websites: There probably is, there probably isn't...

#5 Post by Maria Mac » November 29th, 2008, 10:44 am

The 'there probably is' site has now been parodied by a 'there probably isn't' site with testimonies from atheists about why they don't believe.

http://thereprobablyisnt.com/

Edit: The latter has also got a facebook group here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35435332382