INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Human rights, liberalism and terrorism.

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Dave B

Re: Human rights, liberalism and terrorism.

#21 Post by Dave B » February 16th, 2015, 8:37 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Quotation from a prolific sci-fi writer, Chris Nuttall, of the ebook generation:
"The enemy doesn't give a damn about any concept of fairness. If we hamper our own forces, out of a misguided attempt to make the universe fair, we only make it easier for them to hurt us."

I cannot fault his logic.

I think Nuttall is Scots but had some contact with the US Marines, on whom he modelled, idealistically, those marines in his novels. From his afterwords he is also evidently a student of the conflicts of the last twenty odd years - and weaves elements of these studies into his stories. Then interleaves the whole thing with layers of idealisticfantasy just to make it palatable for his fans.

I do wish that he would not repeat or reiterate so many things though . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

thundril

#22 Post by thundril » February 16th, 2015, 11:34 pm

Dave B wrote:Quotation from a prolific sci-fi writer, Chris Nuttall, . . . .
Like, the mistakes of the past?

Dave B

#23 Post by Dave B » February 17th, 2015, 9:35 pm

thundril wrote:
Dave B wrote:Quotation from a prolific sci-fi writer, Chris Nuttall, . . . .
Like, the mistakes of the past?
Ouch!
:D

But since human nature still has a very long way to go to be considered fully humane, in the universal rather than individual sense, it is also very much of the present. We can learn from history when ee find a way of preventing those who cannot from gaining positions of authority. Back to the various forms of idealised, but unobtainable, forms of government and culture. True democracy, or even anarchy and communism are all, in their idealised forms, great - but so far from being possible . . . due to good old human nature.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015