INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Science videos

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Dave B

Re: Science videos

#21 Post by Dave B » November 22nd, 2010, 8:46 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Alan C. wrote:
Dave
Excellent clip, Nock, bookmarked.
Who is this Nock of whom you speak? :wink: He was maybe a hard- knock during his rugby playing days, But they are long gone :)
Ooops, my apologies to Nuck :D
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#22 Post by Alan H » December 17th, 2010, 7:10 pm

I never tire of watching these interviews with Richard Feynman:

http://www.feynmanphysicslectures.com/
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

seyorni

#23 Post by seyorni » December 17th, 2010, 9:16 pm

An interesting computer experiment debunking the creationist 'watchmaker' argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAq9bmCeR0

Alan H

#24 Post by Alan H » February 1st, 2011, 4:03 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Val

#25 Post by Val » February 1st, 2011, 5:30 pm

Thanks Alan H but after having watched the video I realise that I just can't get my head around it. Just as well there are scientists who can understand and just as well there are those of us who let them get on with it. I just have to trust them and that frightnes me somewhat.

It reminds me somewhat of being in a museum some years ago when Rita realised how the block and tackle pulley system works. Luckily I got a photo of her face as it dawned on her. I don't understand how photos work either for that matter. I thought I had got my head around the principle before digital photography came along.

lewist

#26 Post by lewist » February 1st, 2011, 6:01 pm

Val wrote:...don't understand how photos work either for that matter. I thought I had got my head around the principle before digital photography came along...
I always know there's an explanation, Val, but when I don't understand I just accept it as magic. :hilarity:
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Dave B

#27 Post by Dave B » February 1st, 2011, 6:17 pm

I think I understood that, Alan!

I have a red Kodak filter that is exactly the right colour to completely block the light from pure blue LEDs - now I know why. Fascinating.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

thundril

#28 Post by thundril » February 1st, 2011, 6:25 pm

Alan H wrote:I never tire of watching these interviews with Richard Feynman:

http://www.feynmanphysicslectures.com/
Richard Feynman: :notworthy:

robzed

#29 Post by robzed » February 5th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Found this today. Most of the 'facts' I was aware of. The tree thing recently from QI.
But I think he brings up a very serious point about mental models and education. The conversations about free will and topics intelligent machines are classic cases where our mental model probably causes us problems....

"Jonathan Drori: Why we don't understand as much as we think"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hJCxSiH ... re=channel

(Think this thread is better than the Fun Science thread for this Video).

-Rob

Alan C.

#30 Post by Alan C. » February 21st, 2011, 4:39 pm

Amazing medical video.

Body builders.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan C.

#31 Post by Alan C. » April 7th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Just a short one at 4 minutes but you need to see it to believe it.
Sebastian Thrun: Google's driverless car.

Dave B

#32 Post by Dave B » April 7th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Thanks, Alan.

I had seen some footage of the desert navigation competition before but did not realise that they had adapted a standard car to that level of sophistication. Navigating a road is fairly easy stuff compared to reacting to pedestrians and other drivers doing wobbles in front of one. But then I would guess that if all cars were driven my computers there would be no wobbles!

It is a fairly common theme in sci-fi books that mere people are never allowed to drive vehicles because it is not safe for them to do so.

Now, what is this going to do to the Clarkson's of this world I wonder! :laughter:
Me, 2015

Gottard

#33 Post by Gottard » April 7th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Rationality suggests that investment in alternative, clean, cheap fuel overrides computerised driving; at least so I hope!
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Dave B

#34 Post by Dave B » April 7th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Gottard wrote:Rationality suggests that investment in alternative, clean, cheap fuel overrides computerised driving; at least so I hope!
Both? Computerised driving is going to be a lot cheaper to develop than alternative energy systems. It will, of course, take all the fun out of driving, even for us nonClarksons, as well. I do like to watch the bloke behind me slow down to take the turn into my road which my little Aygo does comfortably at 30 mph.
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#35 Post by Alan C. » April 7th, 2011, 10:29 pm

Gottard wrote:Rationality suggests that investment in alternative, clean, cheap fuel overrides computerised driving; at least so I hope!
While what you say is true, the video did explain how millions of litres of fuel could be saved by reducing congestion on the roads.

Fia

#36 Post by Fia » April 7th, 2011, 10:50 pm

Yup, Alan, but millions more litres of fuel could be saved by city folk not using their damn cars, and using public transport and bicycles instead :)

Also my worry about such technology is when it, inevitably at some point, fails. There'd be folk on their mobiles, reading, doing make-up, dozing etc and suddenly there's pandemonium. Doesn't bear thinking about really...

Alan C.

#37 Post by Alan C. » April 7th, 2011, 11:29 pm

:pointlaugh: Ever the pessimist.

Dave B

#38 Post by Dave B » April 7th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Fia wrote:Yup, Alan, but millions more litres of fuel could be saved by city folk not using their damn cars, and using public transport and bicycles instead :)

Also my worry about such technology is when it, inevitably at some point, fails. There'd be folk on their mobiles, reading, doing make-up, dozing etc and suddenly there's pandemonium. Doesn't bear thinking about really...
Ah, wish that I could walk more, Fia, and maybe I will try when the weather gets warmer. At the moment walking half a mile makes my feet feel as though I am wearing shoes two sizes too small!

I know what you mean, there are those of my ken who cannot walk round the corner to the local shop. We have an excellent bus service, one every 15 minutes and a nearby park and ride that covers another part of the city centre. But some would rather pay three times the fare for parking.

But the biggest thing up my nose in this matter if our local hospital. There used to be two buses there and back half an hour apart. Then they shifted the timing of one service so it arrived and left ten minutes after the other. Then they took the second one off because they said it was not used enough (!!!!!)

Now they are using all the old buses with steps and no place for buggies or wheel-chairs for the hospital - I have to try to help old people with walkers, or those that rely on sticks, trying to get on of off almost every visit I make.

They have almost completed a brand new multi story car park for about four hundred cars.

I heard one old lady who said that each visit to the hospital cost her £50 in taxi and bus fares, but still they seem to want to force every visitor to use a car. I wrote to the hospital admin and the county council asking if, since this was their policy, they were going to add the total carbon footprint for all these cars to their own carbon accounts. I still await a reply.

Bastards!
Me, 2015

Marian

#39 Post by Marian » April 8th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Fia wrote:Yup, Alan, but millions more litres of fuel could be saved by city folk not using their damn cars, and using public transport and bicycles instead :)

Guilty as charged. But my motorcycle takes less gas than the van; does that count? :)

There's a great sci-fi book you should read about the electricity going off; that includes all technology. I'm about 1/2 through. Would you like me to send it when I'm done? Not sure if you'll have it at your local library. It's called: Dies the Fire by RM Stirling.
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#40 Post by Dave B » April 8th, 2011, 9:43 pm

There is another book that tells what happens when the oil runs out, "Last Light" by Alex Scarrow. It is one of those non-hyperbolic books that describes just the sort of things that might happen post-apocalypse, which makes it even scarier! No great battles between defending communities (it is set in Britain), just nasty, sneaky, stuff with the occasional mob getting in on the act. and a touch of rogue politics.

As Elliot had it;
"This is the way the world ends
. . .
Not with a bang but a whimper."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#41 Post by Alan C. » April 8th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Marian
Not sure if you'll have it at your local library. It's called: Dies the Fire by RM Stirling.
I just checked our library online (cool or what?) :)
They don't have it and as it was published in 2004, I doubt they'll get it now if I ask.

PS.
Is the author not S M Sterling?

Sorry for being pedantic.

Edit.
I think we're way off topic here.