INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Henny Penny

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Tetenterre

Re: Henny Penny

#721 Post by Tetenterre » May 3rd, 2012, 9:01 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Themistocles? He missed oak lees.

Henniken Penniken: Mobile convenience south of Brussels.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

animist

#722 Post by animist » May 3rd, 2012, 1:37 pm

Waterloo portaloo?

Tetenterre

#723 Post by Tetenterre » May 3rd, 2012, 2:15 pm

Your go
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

animist

#724 Post by animist » May 19th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Hennikinsy Pen nikinsy - financial alliance which is historically Lancastrian but not Liverpudlian

Emma Woolgatherer

#725 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » May 20th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Mancunian bank union!

animist

#726 Post by animist » May 20th, 2012, 12:49 pm

yes - strange that you have returned as soon as I thought up a new HP!

Emma Woolgatherer

#727 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » May 21st, 2012, 12:32 pm

A happy coincidence.

Hennikinnety Penni kinnety: The cowardly spirit of a light flintlock musket

animist

#728 Post by animist » May 21st, 2012, 1:04 pm

pusillanimous fuzil animus?

Emma Woolgatherer

#729 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » May 21st, 2012, 1:54 pm

Yep. (Though I think "fusil" is the more usual spelling.)

animist

#730 Post by animist » May 21st, 2012, 5:45 pm

metal container goes down in flames - Hennikinsy Pen Nik Insy

animist

#731 Post by animist » May 23rd, 2012, 6:27 pm

animist wrote:metal container goes down in flames - Hennikinsy Pen Nik Insy
if we are going to follow the rule that TNT mentioned a week or two ago, this would be Ennikinsy Pen Nik Insy

animist

#732 Post by animist » May 26th, 2012, 5:12 pm

think of a specific type of metal and type of container; flames need not be involved but heat is

Tetenterre

#733 Post by Tetenterre » May 27th, 2012, 11:04 am

"<something>urn Crash And Burn"?
Steve

animist

#734 Post by animist » May 27th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Tetenterreme wrote:"<something>urn Crash And Burn"?
sorry, good try but nowhere near [you patronising prat, animist], have another shot - it is a very common combination of metal and container, and the heat also involves light

Emma Woolgatherer

#735 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » May 31st, 2012, 11:48 am

If it's

incanDEScent tin can desCENT

then it doesn't rhyme! [-X

Tetenterre

#736 Post by Tetenterre » May 31st, 2012, 12:14 pm

Hah! Emma's posting of that has just alerted me to the fact that I can't count (syllables)! And I still teach maths... :laughter:
Steve

animist

#737 Post by animist » May 31st, 2012, 1:27 pm

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:If it's

incanDEScent tin can desCENT

then it doesn't rhyme! [-X
yes, and yes it does! What's a stress difference matter?? :laughter:

Emma Woolgatherer

#738 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » May 31st, 2012, 2:08 pm

The stress difference doesn't necessarily matter on its own. MancUnian bAnk union worked fine, because the stress difference wasn't huge, and the vowel sounds matched. It would work in a poem, and especially in a song, where stresses tend to get flattened out by the imposed rhythm of the tune. In this case, though, there's a much greater stress difference, such that each unstressed vowel becomes a schwa (ə), which doesn't match the corresponding vowel sound in the other part of the rhyme. So it wouldn't work in a poem or a song. When both syllables are unstressed it doesn't matter if the vowels are different (as in "Boris cope horoscope"), but there's no way an unstressed "əss" rhymes with a stressed "ess", or an unstressed "ənt" rhymes with a stressed "ent". We had the same problem with "Handle a bra candelabra", where we have an unstressed ə failing twice to rhyme with a stressed ah. And before that there was "Drop a cat a petal, Popocatépetl", but the way most of us mispronounce the last word actually gives us a perfect rhyme.

I confess I've been quite lax about all this hitherto. But I think it's worth considering, as it does make clues much harder to get.

Emma

Tetenterre

#739 Post by Tetenterre » May 31st, 2012, 2:23 pm

With the way I talk its a case of dess vs deess.

Anyway, I think Emma has a valid point. However, could we contrive away of indicating when the rhyme is visual but not audible?

I think it's your go, Emma... :smile:
Steve

animist

#740 Post by animist » May 31st, 2012, 2:30 pm

Tetenterre wrote:With the way I talk its a case of dess vs deess.

Anyway, I think Emma has a valid point. However, could we contrive away of indicating when the rhyme is visual but not audible?

I think it's your go, Emma... :smile:
that's true about pronunciation; we should say that it is a visual rhyme, but I think on this one I said it over to myself so many times (while grinning) that I convinced myself it was a real if eccentric rhyme :wink:

animist

#741 Post by animist » May 31st, 2012, 2:37 pm

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:The stress difference doesn't necessarily matter on its own. MancUnian bAnk union worked fine, because the stress difference wasn't huge, and the vowel sounds matched. It would work in a poem, and especially in a song, where stresses tend to get flattened out by the imposed rhythm of the tune. In this case, though, there's a much greater stress difference, such that each unstressed vowel becomes a schwa (ə), which doesn't match the corresponding vowel sound in the other part of the rhyme. So it wouldn't work in a poem or a song. When both syllables are unstressed it doesn't matter if the vowels are different (as in "Boris cope horoscope"), but there's no way an unstressed "əss" rhymes with a stressed "ess", or an unstressed "ənt" rhymes with a stressed "ent". We had the same problem with "Handle a bra candelabra", where we have an unstressed ə failing twice to rhyme with a stressed ah. And before that there was "Drop a cat a petal, Popocatépetl", but the way most of us mispronounce the last word actually gives us a perfect rhyme.

I confess I've been quite lax about all this hitherto. But I think it's worth considering, as it does make clues much harder to get.

Emma
I notice that the examples of stress mismatches are all mine - so do you always make sure that your stresses as well as your vowel sounds match? I imagine somehow that you do :D. "Handle a bra candelabra" - I see what you mean, but I suppose I feel that the slight mismatch makes for comic effect - the tin can one was a descent too far, I agree! Maybe you should give a mark out of ten each time :laughter: