INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Henny Penny

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
animist

Re: Henny Penny

#741 Post by animist » May 31st, 2012, 2:37 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:The stress difference doesn't necessarily matter on its own. MancUnian bAnk union worked fine, because the stress difference wasn't huge, and the vowel sounds matched. It would work in a poem, and especially in a song, where stresses tend to get flattened out by the imposed rhythm of the tune. In this case, though, there's a much greater stress difference, such that each unstressed vowel becomes a schwa (ə), which doesn't match the corresponding vowel sound in the other part of the rhyme. So it wouldn't work in a poem or a song. When both syllables are unstressed it doesn't matter if the vowels are different (as in "Boris cope horoscope"), but there's no way an unstressed "əss" rhymes with a stressed "ess", or an unstressed "ənt" rhymes with a stressed "ent". We had the same problem with "Handle a bra candelabra", where we have an unstressed ə failing twice to rhyme with a stressed ah. And before that there was "Drop a cat a petal, Popocatépetl", but the way most of us mispronounce the last word actually gives us a perfect rhyme.

I confess I've been quite lax about all this hitherto. But I think it's worth considering, as it does make clues much harder to get.

Emma
I notice that the examples of stress mismatches are all mine - so do you always make sure that your stresses as well as your vowel sounds match? I imagine somehow that you do :D. "Handle a bra candelabra" - I see what you mean, but I suppose I feel that the slight mismatch makes for comic effect - the tin can one was a descent too far, I agree! Maybe you should give a mark out of ten each time :laughter:

animist

#742 Post by animist » June 1st, 2012, 8:52 am

I am so proud of my latest HP effort - not only does it follow the rules, I think, but it has a religious connotation - that I am breaking etiquette to offer it now:

Ennikinsity Penni kinsi ty: spread good news about destroying sticky mess in bed

Emma Woolgatherer

#743 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » June 2nd, 2012, 11:17 am

Is it evangelical divan jelly cull?

If so ...

(No, no, I mustn't! :D )

animist

#744 Post by animist » June 2nd, 2012, 11:48 am

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:Is it evangelical divan jelly cull?

If so ...

(No, no, I mustn't! :D )
excellent! And yes you may - I am not quite as proud now, since "cull" is not a perfect rhyme for "al". I shall now retire pro tem in anticipation of two perfect rhymes from you!
(later) I dare say you were also going to note that "divan" and "evan" ain't absolutely perfect! I am afraid this is as good as I get - and I do find these silly long ones more fun than the short ones, even if there are imperfections :wink:
Anything else wrong? :hilarity:

Tetenterre

#745 Post by Tetenterre » June 2nd, 2012, 1:11 pm

Oh good. It's with some relief that I now realise that you weren't having "-ism" as 2 syllables, leading me to an entirely different source for the "sticky mess in bed" :D
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Emma Woolgatherer

#746 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » June 3rd, 2012, 11:47 am

That last one was close enough, animist. They don't have to be perfect, and I certainly wouldn't want to spoil the fun! Also, on reflection, I think that as long as you have something that rhymes in somebody's accent, you're all right. Some people pronounce "cull" as something pretty close to "cəl".

Henni keal Pennikeal: Put a match to signal-strengthening device in a theatrical manner

animist

#747 Post by animist » June 3rd, 2012, 12:01 pm

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:That last one was close enough, animist. They don't have to be perfect, and I certainly wouldn't want to spoil the fun! Also, on reflection, I think that as long as you have something that rhymes in somebody's accent, you're all right. Some people pronounce "cull" as something pretty close to "cəl".

Henni keal Pennikeal: Put a match to signal-strengthening device in a theatrical manner
camply fire amplifier?

Emma Woolgatherer

#748 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » June 3rd, 2012, 1:06 pm

Gosh. So fast. Your go.

animist

#749 Post by animist » June 3rd, 2012, 11:13 pm

think it is still your go, but walking in the rain made me come up with:

hennikinsy pennikinsy - "what a magnificent headland - coming into view now!"

Emma Woolgatherer

#750 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » June 10th, 2012, 10:33 am

promontory commentary?

animist

#751 Post by animist » June 10th, 2012, 10:35 am

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:promontory commentary?
yes!

Emma Woolgatherer

#752 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » June 11th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Hennikinsity Penni kinsity: Non-sequential history of an improvised dwelling.

animist

#753 Post by animist » June 13th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Emma Woolgatherer wrote:Hennikinsity Penni kinsity: Non-sequential history of an improvised dwelling.
this sounds a real beaut! The only things I am coming up with are bivouac (not really a dwelling) and hooch (plus achronology) - stone cold?

Tetenterre

#754 Post by Tetenterre » June 13th, 2012, 2:53 pm

I've played with "hooch", "shanty" and "favela" for that bit, and "discontinuous" and "unconsecutive" for the other -- getting precisely nowhere. New tack needed...
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Emma Woolgatherer

#755 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » June 14th, 2012, 11:26 am

Tetenterre wrote:I've played with "hooch", "shanty" and "favela" for that bit, and "discontinuous" and "unconsecutive" for the other -- getting precisely nowhere. New tack needed...
Not entirely new tack. One of those words is the "Penni". And of course it could be only one of them!

Clue: it's a bit of a contradiction in terms.

Emma Woolgatherer

#756 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » June 14th, 2012, 11:28 am

animist wrote:The only things I am coming up with are bivouac (not really a dwelling) and hooch (plus achronology) - stone cold?
No. Not entirely cold. There's a nice warm syllable in there somewhere.

There. Between you you should get it!

Tetenterre

#757 Post by Tetenterre » June 14th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Antichronical shanty chronicle?

Later edit: Just realised that this is probably confirmed if your "warm syllable" is "chron", so a nice easy one to be getting on with:

Pen Pen: The frequency of pains?
Steve

animist

#758 Post by animist » June 14th, 2012, 4:11 pm

hurts Hertz

henni kinsy pennikinsy - flowing oriental conducts archaic and bloody test for murder

animist

#759 Post by animist » June 28th, 2012, 5:54 pm

animist wrote:hurts Hertz

henni kinsy pennikinsy - flowing oriental conducts archaic and bloody test for murder
this seems to be causing problems - the pennikinsy is a word I only learnt from reading the wiki article on the Malleus Maleficarum

Tetenterre

#760 Post by Tetenterre » July 1st, 2012, 11:02 am

fluent Asian cruentation ?
Steve

animist

#761 Post by animist » July 1st, 2012, 11:05 am

Tetenterre wrote:fluent Asian cruentation ?
:clap: