INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Kindle Help

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
getreal

Kindle Help

#1 Post by getreal » July 2nd, 2012, 3:59 pm

I don't know who else to ask. I'm told I can transfer PDF files from my computer to my kindle but I can't find out how to do it. I tried "manage your kindle" option on the amazon site, but I I seem to be able to do there is change files already held. I also tried a general google search. but that didn't help either. I even tried just dragging it into the appropriate place, but that didn't work either (that'd be much too simple. wouldn't it?)

Anyone know how this is done?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Emma Woolgatherer

Re: Kindle Help

#2 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » July 2nd, 2012, 4:14 pm

Does this page help, getreal?

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » July 2nd, 2012, 4:21 pm

Getreal, Kindle reads PDFs no prob, pictures as well, if they are simple ones. Connect your Kindle, "Copy" the PDF file and "Paste" it into the "Documents" folder in the Kindle. It may not fit neatly on the page though.

You should have been given a Kindle email address. If you send the file to that and, IIRC, put "Convert" in the subject box it sends back a copy that fits the screen perfectly.

I will check on that, unless someone else gives you the same or corrected version. Been some time since I did this!

If you cannot remember your Kindle email address go to "Home" then "Menu" then "Settings" then the next page - you should find it there.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » July 2nd, 2012, 4:34 pm

Take a look at this, getreal, they bury it deep!

You reach it by typing "email" into the search box in Kindle Support. Probably other ways but that works!

:D
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#5 Post by getreal » July 2nd, 2012, 5:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. Good to know I wasn't just being a complete moron! I haven't got time to try it out at the moment, but I shall later.

I'll let you know how I get on. :)
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Nick

#6 Post by Nick » July 2nd, 2012, 6:26 pm

If all else fails, try shouting at it. :D

jaywhat

#7 Post by jaywhat » July 2nd, 2012, 6:47 pm

perhaps we should all go back to kindlegarten :smile:

Nick

#8 Post by Nick » July 2nd, 2012, 7:26 pm

It might help, jaywhat. After all, when I was around that age, I seem to remember playing iSpy. Precient or what!?

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » July 2nd, 2012, 8:01 pm

Well, with this style of technology we may be back to the slate at some point in the future.
Me, 2015

getreal

#10 Post by getreal » July 4th, 2012, 9:15 pm

OK. Thanks. I've now managed to transfer the file to the kindle. Unfortunatly the text is tiny (I could wear my glasses, but then, why buy a kindle?) and I can't find how to change the font size on a document, on a non-kindle touch! Grrrr!

ETA: Got it!!!

Got a free book that I atually would have paid money for!! Ian Dunbar (a brilliant guy)'s "Before you get your Puppy".

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » July 4th, 2012, 9:21 pm

getreal wrote:OK. Thanks. I've now managed to transfer the file to the kindle. Unfortunatly the text is tiny (I could wear my glasses, but then, why buy a kindle?) and I can't find how to change the font size on a document, on a non-kindle touch! Grrrr!
Which Kindle do you have, getreal? IIRC all models have a way of adjusting the text size, on the "keyboard" version it is the key with "AA" on it. Not sure about the others. Surely you have a manual - or are you applying the rule of, "When all else fails look in the bloody manual"?
Me, 2015

getreal

#12 Post by getreal » July 4th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Absolutly! Who reads the bolldy instructions anyway?

I can change the font for books, but it's different for PDF files. In the case of PDF files, you merely re-orientate the screen to landscape and the font automatically enlarges. That's all you can do with files, but it's large enough for me to read without me specs.

Does anyone ever read instructions for electronic gizmos, or rhe "terms and conditions" on websites?

Alan H

#13 Post by Alan H » July 4th, 2012, 10:18 pm

getreal wrote:Does anyone ever read instructions for electronic gizmos, or rhe "terms and conditions" on websites?
I hope you're familiar with the exhortation frequently heard on such occasions? RTFM:
Spoiler:
Read The Flippin' Manual!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#14 Post by Dave B » July 4th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Does anyone ever read instructions for electronic gizmos, or rhe "terms and conditions" on websites?
Only in extremis!

Right, going back a step - if you send the PDF to your kindle email address with "Convert" in the subject line it should be sent back as a Kindle format file - thus available for any manipulations that you can do such as text sizing.

Have you tried that yet, getreal?
Me, 2015

Dave B

#15 Post by Dave B » July 4th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Alan H wrote:
getreal wrote:Does anyone ever read instructions for electronic gizmos, or rhe "terms and conditions" on websites?
I hope you're familiar with the exhortation frequently heard on such occasions? RTFM:
Spoiler:
That's the polite version! :laughter:
Me, 2015

Alan H

#16 Post by Alan H » July 4th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Dave B wrote:
Alan H wrote:
Spoiler:
That's the polite version! :laughter:
Well, what did you expect... :wink:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Tetenterre

#17 Post by Tetenterre » July 5th, 2012, 10:29 am

Dave B wrote: "When all else fails look in the bloody manual"?
aka Cahn's Axiom
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#18 Post by Dave B » July 11th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Wonder how getreal is getting on with her PDFs . . . . . .
Me, 2015

getreal

#19 Post by getreal » July 13th, 2012, 12:11 am

I'm getting on fine, but have been sidetracked by my current Bowie obsession. I'm on my third biography. Best so far has been Paul Trynka's "Starman". Just finnishing off David Buckleys "Strange Facination", a bit old, stops in the 90s, but he focusses more on the process of making music. The actual la la la and the business side. I had no idea that Bowie was so experimantal and that he worked closely with (amoungst other people) Brian Eno and the guitarist from King Crimson. reading about his collaborators was like taking a walk through my teenage record collection! Only one more (David Bowie and 4 minutes that shook the world) to go. It's seems a bit short on narrative, but has some nice pictures. Oh! and I had to make time to watch "The Man Who Fell To Earth" again. Went to see it at the GFT with Al when it came out. It was just as good second time around and now that I have the DVD, I can watch it again if I like.

Back to my Kindle. I can read the text fine in landscape, so i don't need to enlarge the text, but I now know where to get the info on PDF files. Thanks!!

useless (and probably inaccurate) info. Apparently, Bowie wrote the music to "My Way", only he had different words and it wasn't called "My Way". he sold a lot of his music to other people back then, and this was bought by paul Anka who re-wrote it and the rest, as they say, is history. Wikki makes no mention of this, though, interestingly, Bowie says he also based it on the french song.

Very humerous story, told by Ricky Gervais. (hope I do this right)
Last edited by Alan H on July 13th, 2012, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Nope! I had to delete http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

animist

#20 Post by animist » July 22nd, 2012, 6:23 pm

I am hoping to take my Kindle abroad - does anyone know if it is likely to be damaged when going thru Customs?