INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Abolish ‘faith’ schools

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Alan H

Abolish ‘faith’ schools

#1 Post by Alan H » January 11th, 2016, 5:12 pm

Government petition: Abolish ‘faith’ schools
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

Re: Abolish ‘faith’ schools

#2 Post by Nick » January 11th, 2016, 6:19 pm

Signed. Though it's somewhat sparse. Hmmm... should it have said more? Rather easy to dismiss, I'd have thought.

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » January 11th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Signed as well and emailed my MP:

"Dear Neil Carmichael. As an aspiring humanist I have just signed the petition seeking to abolish faith schools. I will admit that I have limited faith in it achieving anything, belief in the supernatural being strangely tenacious, even amongst seemingly intelligent people. However, with the "growth" in sectarian and inter-religious conflict in the world reinforcing any kind of division in humanity seems a recipe for disaster."
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » January 17th, 2016, 6:36 pm

This from today.
http://freethinker.co.uk/2016/01/17/set ... h-english/
I think 'orthodox' Jews are largely overlooked in the UK.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » January 17th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Alan C. wrote:This from today.
http://freethinker.co.uk/2016/01/17/set ... h-english/
I think 'orthodox' Jews are largely overlooked in the UK.
Good grief.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

John G

#6 Post by John G » February 4th, 2016, 10:26 pm

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... ool-system

It appears that Canada is moving towards eliminating the federal support and in effect make Catholic Schools a private school.

I remember growing up and wondering why we had two schools of everything.
A good learner is forever walking the narrow path between blindness and hallucination. ― Pedro Domingos, The Master Algorithm

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » February 4th, 2016, 11:05 pm

echo451 wrote:http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... ool-system

It appears that Canada is moving towards eliminating the federal support and in effect make Catholic Schools a private school.

I remember growing up and wondering why we had two schools of everything.
Good for them! We are going in the opposite direction even though religious belief continues to decline.
Alan Henness

John G

#8 Post by John G » February 5th, 2016, 1:07 am

Oh my. Not sure if I should laugh or cry. Well, it's a good indication that the democratic process sort of works.
I will have to read the details to see what is driving the change. Here it appears to be the catholic church. The government keeps having to make up rules to allow folks to attend these schools and this is annoying the church.

They want their exclusivity but it conflicts with our charter of rights and freedoms. :hilarity:
A good learner is forever walking the narrow path between blindness and hallucination. ― Pedro Domingos, The Master Algorithm

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » February 5th, 2016, 1:21 am

echo451 wrote:Oh my. Not sure if I should laugh or cry. Well, it's a good indication that the democratic process sort of works.
I will have to read the details to see what is driving the change. Here it appears to be the catholic church. The government keeps having to make up rules to allow folks to attend these schools and this is annoying the church.

They want their exclusivity but it conflicts with our charter of rights and freedoms. :hilarity:
Our Tory Government seems to bend over backwards to help religions here. We have unelected Church of England Bishops in our House of Lords...

Oh, and they want to abolish the Human Rights Act, but they flounder every time they talk about it!
Alan Henness

John G

#10 Post by John G » February 5th, 2016, 1:53 am

Ok. So what were they planning to put in place? Your welcome to borrow ours. Younger but really. That seems like rather radical ... well ok we just changed our government so ya I might have seen it happen under Harper.

Most Canadians are optimistic about our new government. But then that is a national trait. We say 'Thank you' to the bus driver when we get off the bus. There is a sense that thing will get better. If feels rather refreshing.

Alan H

#11 Post by Alan H » February 5th, 2016, 10:22 am

echo451 wrote:Ok. So what were they planning to put in place? Your welcome to borrow ours. Younger but really. That seems like rather radical ... well ok we just changed our government so ya I might have seen it happen under Harper.
The Tories seem damned sure it needs to go, yet can't quite say what it is wrong with it or what they want to replace it with. This has been a bug bear of the Tories for decades. It's come up in The future of Government (if any) thread but this article by a lawyer friend gives a flavour: The “Bill of Rights” and a blank sheet of paper.
Alan Henness

John G

#12 Post by John G » February 5th, 2016, 10:27 am

Alan H wrote:
echo451 wrote:Ok. So what were they planning to put in place? Your welcome to borrow ours. Younger but really. That seems like rather radical ... well ok we just changed our government so ya I might have seen it happen under Harper.
The Tories seem damned sure it needs to go, yet can't quite say what it is wrong with it or what they want to replace it with. This has been a bug bear of the Tories for decades. It's come up in The future of Government (if any) thread but this article by a lawyer friend gives a flavour: The “Bill of Rights” and a blank sheet of paper.
Thanks Alan for the pointers. I am sure it will be educational.

John G

#13 Post by John G » February 5th, 2016, 11:49 am

So it comes down to the fact that they don't want to do the work. Governance is not easy. It is a lot of hard work. Only folks with a passionate need would want to do the work. We were lucky. Trudo helped lead us through this minefield.

Well, we had good material to start with.

The failure that we see in the Arab Spring. The poison pills that were left by the dictators made filling the void an even more difficult task. Try putting up freedom in the middle of anarchy or oppressive government elements that have a very passionate will to survive. Threw in ISIS and a few super powers. Religious groups and a past history that no one seems to want to give up. It is not a wonder that everything is a mess.

Replacing the dictator is a very hard task. Throwing out the dictator is grand but you need to replace them with something. Tunisia, the first country in the Arab Spring uprisings seems to be the only one that has come out of the conflicts better. You can blame the lawyers. I happen to like lawyers. Smart people and fun to talk with.

Your current Tories are not up to the task.

Is there something that needs to be addressed or is it smoke created to win an election? Sorry I did not follow the going on of the your government. I was too busy being depressed over the one we had.

I listen to the conservatives in our house of commons. The conservative are interested in winning and being right. They behave like 5-year-olds and attack issues without substance. Somehow thinkings emotion appeals and loud shouts win an argument.

It is some fine entertainment. Their arrogance is over the top.

I sware they do this for the entertainment values.

Threw in the media who are always trying to make a story rather than tell one and the whole thing just gets .... frustrating. You have to pick your new channel to get the right political flavor. Shite I think is the word you use. :)

Thanks for sharing. As the older brother in the schemes of politics I hope you can find a way out and to some kind of rational government.

(Ok. Think this is the right spot now. :redface: )

Alan C.

#14 Post by Alan C. » March 4th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Pleased to report, of the 29 schools and 2 colleges in Shetland none are or ever have been 'faith schools' Unfortunately like all Scottish schools they are all obliged to have two 'religious members' On the board of governors. (Can be any religion)
I'm surprised they can find 62 'religious folk' to fill the posts. :smile:

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » March 4th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Alan C. wrote:Pleased to report, of the 29 schools and 2 colleges in Shetland none are or ever have been 'faith schools' Unfortunately like all Scottish schools they are all obliged to have two 'religious members' On the board of governors. (Can be any religion)
I'm surprised they can find 62 'religious folk' to fill the posts. :smile:
You should volunteer... :D
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#16 Post by Alan C. » March 9th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Sorry, should have read 3 'religious' folk'
Alan H
Do you wonder why some people give up on this site?
Snarky fucking remarks after every post!
I get the impression that you're not happy with an Englishman happily living in Scotland, while you as a Scotsman have to put up with the shite that is London,
you could always move back!
Goodnight and goodbye. :D

Alan H

#17 Post by Alan H » March 9th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Alan C. wrote:Sorry, should have read 3 'religious' folk'
Alan H
Do you wonder why some people give up on this site?
Snarky fucking remarks after every post!
I get the impression that you're not happy with an Englishman happily living in Scotland, while you as a Scotsman have to put up with the shite that is London,
you could always move back!
Goodnight and goodbye. :D
That certainly was not intended as snarky and I'm sorry if saw it that way. I was wondering what might happen if you did apply - they may refuse you but it would raise interesting discrimination issues if they did.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#18 Post by Dave B » March 9th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Some cannot differentiate between snark, jokes and offhand suggestions it seems.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015