INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Artificial intelligence

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Dave B

Artificial intelligence

#1 Post by Dave B » March 11th, 2016, 3:47 pm

I thought there was already a thread looking at this, seems not, do . . .

"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

Re: Artificial intelligence

#2 Post by Alan H » March 11th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Fascinating. What is clear is that it must be true that huge leaps in progress will be made in the coming years and decades. Where will that take us? No idea!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » March 11th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Alan H wrote:Fascinating. What is clear is that it must be true that huge leaps in progress will be made in the coming years and decades. Where will that take us? No idea!
Yeah, when you realise just how many big and small players are in the AI business . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#4 Post by Compassionist » March 11th, 2016, 6:03 pm

Great video Dave. Thanks for sharing.

Ken H

#5 Post by Ken H » March 12th, 2016, 2:53 am

Nice video, Dave.

Philip K. Dick lives (as a robot). :smile:
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » March 12th, 2016, 6:54 am

Ken H wrote:Nice video, Dave.

Philip K. Dick lives (as a robot). :smile:
And does he dream of electric sheep one wonders.
Me, 2015

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » March 12th, 2016, 7:00 am

Me, 2015

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » March 25th, 2016, 9:42 am

Microsoft deletes 'teen girl' AI after it became a Hitler-loving sex robot within 24 hours
Such is the danger of allowing any "entity" to "learn" from its "peers" without any form of "supervision".
(Some loaded words there, chosen for brevity!)
Me, 2015

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » March 25th, 2016, 10:25 am

Dave B wrote:Microsoft deletes 'teen girl' AI after it became a Hitler-loving sex robot within 24 hours
Such is the danger of allowing any "entity" to "learn" from its "peers" without any form of "supervision".
What I don't understand is why they let it go on after it - rather obviously - went off the rails after being taunted.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » March 25th, 2016, 10:49 am

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:Microsoft deletes 'teen girl' AI after it became a Hitler-loving sex robot within 24 hours
What I don't understand is why they let it go on after it - rather obviously - went off the rails after being taunted.
Dunno, but I would bet that any team members who had a psychological or sociological background would have wanted this project left to run. Lots of potential to learn about "learning systems", those that learn and modify their behaviour according to their experience/environment.

In this case it seemed to act much like an abused or neglected child with a temper problem would. Perhaps this will inform those who design future systems?

But do you wait until such a system can be "reasoned with" and led, as one would a human learner, or do you act like a represive parent, ban certain words and subjects and, metaphorically, wash the AI's mouth out with soap? Can an AI learn through "punishment" or does it have to be "restrained" by edict?

One needs a new paradigm of language to even discuss this subject!

Later: perhaps the questions I asked above could be rephrased in terms of; "What is intelligence? Can it be wired in (as ours is in our genes)? Can it be "imposed"? Can it be learned?

How it is applied is a whole new matter, in this case it was, sort of, a an unemotional "copy-cat" response. Assuming AIs cannot, as yet, have emotions - can they express emotional analogues?

Glad I am not an ethicist, or ethical psychologist, involved in this research!
Me, 2015