INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

YAGGA

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

clayto

YAGGA

#1 Post by clayto » December 18th, 2007, 11:01 am

We have just started trying out a new meat substitute called YAGGA made from a high protein Italian wheat. We are quite impressed. Good texture. Veggie / Vegan with no egg or dairy or artificial ingredients, colourings or cholesterol or GMO. Less than 1% fat, rich in proteins. Available in Strips, Roast and Steak varieties and (especially useful to us) in vacuum packs, very easily stored and cooked.

Information from http://www.yagga.co.uk or [email protected]

Chris
clayto

Alan H

Re: YAGGA

#2 Post by Alan H » December 18th, 2007, 11:38 am

Very interesting! I'll see if our local Tesco or H&B have it.

Not to sure about the name, though - it may not have translated well from Italian!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » December 18th, 2007, 11:43 am

VeggisStuff.com stock YAGGA, but they also stock Viana Vegan Hot Dog (Tofu Knacker)...not sure I want to know... :grin:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

clayto

#4 Post by clayto » December 18th, 2007, 12:15 pm

Yes, we got ours from http://www.veggiestuff.com. I suspect it will not be in major supermarkets for some time and then only if it has been a success. It will be interesting to see how this new product 'takes off'. It is particularly interesting to us as motorcaravanners because of its easy stoage and cooking.

Chris
clayto

Edward Hawkins

#5 Post by Edward Hawkins » December 18th, 2007, 7:54 pm

I've tried all three of the Yagga products, which I also bought from VeggieStuff. The Veggie Roast does have some flavour due to the herbs used, but I found the other two to be very bland. I won't be buying them again.

clayto

#6 Post by clayto » December 19th, 2007, 11:38 am

I can understand people finding YAGGA bland, it is the one criticism I have of it so far (but rather than influence opinion by saying so at the outset I though it better to see how others found it). It seems to me the sort of product you would mix with other things, with sauces, etc. (We used the strips in a stir fry cooked with a vegetable soup and the steak with ratatouille). QUORN is also considered bland by many, and is mainly marketed as prepared meals in a way which makes it far from bland though presumably not quite so healthy? Soya is also bland unless combined with other ingredients. Of course 'blandness' is a matter of personal taste. Do you know of any other protein rich meat substitute(s) which might not be considered bland?

Chris
clayto

Edward Hawkins

#7 Post by Edward Hawkins » December 19th, 2007, 7:33 pm

I don't think that I would describe Quorn as bland. It does have its own unique flavour, although it is not a favourite of mine. I went to the veggie roadshow in Leeds a few weeks ago. They had free samples of both Fry's and Redwood's foods which were all quite tasty. It was the first time I had tried Redwoods chicken-style pieces. I would certainly buy them if I could find a local stockist. I normally use Realeat chicken-style pieces. These are also tasty. I have heard a meat-eater describe them as a more authentic taste than the Quorn equivalent.
All the products that I have mentioned, except the Quorn, are also suitable for vegans.