INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Homeopathy

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Dave B

Re: Homeopathy

#1181 Post by Dave B » November 30th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Alan H wrote:You might like to make your views on the blacklisting of homeopathy (which would prevent GPs from prescribing it) known to Liverpool CCG: it's a very simple survey form. Rest assured many homeopathy enthusiasts will have.
Well,,I suppose they will send me a confirmation link email sometime!

Half an hour later:

But, then again, perhaps not!"
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#1182 Post by Alan H » December 21st, 2015, 7:35 pm

We're finalising our 26 page, 10,000 word, 60 reference submission, but please, please can you fill in this consultation questionnaire? It's very straightforward and won't take more than a minute or so. You can bet loads of homoeopaths will take the time and trouble!

It must be done today or tomorrow.

Last chance to tell NHS Liverpool CCG your thoughts on homeopathy
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#1183 Post by Dave B » December 21st, 2015, 8:04 pm

Never did get a confirmatory email last time though it seems my user name has already been taken, it knows all my details but I have forgotten the password and can't get in!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#1184 Post by Alan H » January 2nd, 2016, 2:14 pm

Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Ken H

#1185 Post by Ken H » January 27th, 2016, 7:31 pm

CVS' Homeopathic Laxative can get you drunk. No ID needed to purchase!

CVS, one of America's largest retail pharmacies, is selling a Homeopathic laxative that is 20% ethanol. That's higher proof than beer or wine.

An adult tester, in a Youtube clip, sampled 6 ounces of the stuff and became drunk. And guess what? It had no effect on her digestive system!
cvslax.jpg
cvslax.jpg (104.55 KiB) Viewed 19177 times
http://consumerist.com/2015/10/28/teen- ... -laxative/
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Dave B

#1186 Post by Dave B » January 27th, 2016, 7:44 pm

But an expensive booze session to get drunk I would guess!

What used to be my favourite cold/cough relief, Nightnurse, is 18% alcohol - hic! But you usually have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter.

I'll stick with Sanatogen...
Me, 2015

Ken H

#1187 Post by Ken H » January 27th, 2016, 7:57 pm

Dave B wrote:But an expensive booze session to get drunk I would guess!
Notice that the box doesn't say "laxative", just "constipation relief". I guess that getting a buzz on is some kind of relief - even for constipation!
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Dave B

#1188 Post by Dave B » January 27th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Ken H wrote:
Dave B wrote:But an expensive booze session to get drunk I would guess!
Notice that the box doesn't say "laxative", just "constipation relief". I guess that getting a buzz on is some kind of relief - even for constipation!
:laughter:

Well, at least it is a homeopathetic concoction that actually contains an active ingredient! Ok, not the action it advertises but ...
Me, 2015

Ken H

#1189 Post by Ken H » January 27th, 2016, 8:24 pm

Alan H

#1190 Post by Alan H » January 27th, 2016, 8:36 pm

Ken H wrote:Have you seen this one?

Catholic homeopaths claim to cure homosexuality
Yes. It's disgusting, isn't it?
Alan Henness

Alan H

#1191 Post by Alan H » February 9th, 2016, 10:51 am

Alan Henness

John G

#1192 Post by John G » February 12th, 2016, 7:44 am

Does the UK have Naturopaths? I see they do from my quick research. Do Naturopaths use Homeopathy in their practices?

Naturopath clinics are a common site in my home city. Just today I walked past two of them to see my GP.
A good learner is forever walking the narrow path between blindness and hallucination. ― Pedro Domingos, The Master Algorithm

Alan H

#1193 Post by Alan H » February 12th, 2016, 11:24 am

John G wrote:Does the UK have Naturopaths? I see they do from my quick research. Do Naturopaths use Homeopathy in their practices?

Naturopath clinics are a common site in my home city. Just today I walked past two of them to see my GP.
Yes and yes, but probably fewer of them in the UK. Some US states actually licence naturopaths so they have equal standing to medical doctors. Unbelievable.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#1194 Post by Alan H » February 13th, 2016, 12:59 am

Alan Henness

Alan H

#1195 Post by Alan H » July 8th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#1196 Post by Alan H » July 15th, 2016, 12:42 pm

As some of you may know, NHS Wirral Clinical Commissioning Group are running a consultation about whether to continue to fund homeopathy and Iscador.

We've written a lengthy submission, but all they're looking for are the answers to a few questions. The online survey can be completed here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/5GP78LJ

It will only take you a few minutes to fill in, but you need to do it by midnight tonight (Friday). Although it might appear they only want local patients, they are asking for the views of anyone and everyone. You can be sure that homeopathy supporters from all over the world will be giving their views, particularly after the decision a few weeks ago by neighbouring Liverpool CCG to stop funding homeopathy (provided by the same service).

Their three options are the CCG will choose from are:

Option 1: Extend the existing contract for a Homeopathy and Iscador service

Option 2: Only fund the Homeopathy or Iscador service if the patients's GP can prove that the patient is likely to derive greater benefit from the treatment than might normally be expected for patients with that condition (exceptional circumstances).

Option 3: Stop funding the service.

Amy questions, please let me know.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#1197 Post by Alan H » October 4th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Bristol And London Are Now The Only Two Places You Can Get Homeopathy On The NHSThe Wirral Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has voted to end its funding for homeopathy at a meeting of its governing body today. The meeting comes after a public consultation, which overwhelmingly found in favour of ending NHS support for the treatment.

It means that homeopathy will no longer be available on the NHS in England outside London and the Bristol area.

In recent years, several other CCGs have ended NHS funding for the treatment, including those in central Manchester, Gateshead, Liverpool, Newcastle and Dorset. The only remaining English CCGs that provide the treatment are in North Somerset and South Gloucestershire, near Bristol – where, until recently, there was a homeopathic hospital – Bristol itself and London. It is still available in Glasgow and some other parts of Scotland.
Alan Henness

Tetenterre

#1198 Post by Tetenterre » October 5th, 2016, 12:28 pm

50 minutes well spent if you want to understand what a homeopath apostate faces. Interview with Natalie Grams, a German homeopath who decided to investigate it honestly.
http://theesp.eu/podcast_archive/episod ... grams.html
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#1199 Post by Alan H » July 21st, 2017, 11:16 pm

Alan Henness

Tetenterre

#1200 Post by Tetenterre » July 23rd, 2017, 11:36 am

Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#1201 Post by Alan H » July 23rd, 2017, 11:47 am

Tetenterre wrote:
Did you hear Helen Beaumont on R4 Today programme yesterday?
Yes, all the usual nonsense and misleading guff. She was wrong saying that someone abstained on the HoC homeopathy report. One person did vote 'no' but no one abstained. A detail perhaps, but she still got it wrong. But it's the usual tactic of attacking the messenger... Also, the 6,500 survey she lauded perhaps didn't quite say what she thinks it does.
Alan Henness