INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Trains and boats and planes

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

Trains and boats and planes

#1 Post by gregory » June 14th, 2008, 10:38 am

Remeber that old 60's song?

How many vegetarians still use cars and airplanes?
There'll be blue birds over
The white cliffs of Dover

Edward Hawkins

Re: Trains and boats and planes

#2 Post by Edward Hawkins » June 15th, 2008, 7:42 pm

gregory wrote:Remeber that old 60's song?

How many vegetarians still use cars and airplanes?
I use both. I fly most days and need my car to get to the airport.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#3 Post by Maria Mac » June 15th, 2008, 8:07 pm

I'm intrigued, gregory, why do you ask?

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#4 Post by gregory » June 21st, 2008, 10:53 am

Well some vegetarians are vegetarians because of the planet and the environmentalists say that we could help with globabl warming if we cut down the use of airoplanes and cars.

It does depend on why one uses these things of course. It would be difficult for some people to give up but just as some people are using less meat then some people are using their cars and using the internet rather than go to somewhere by air.

One problem is the number of people who have family abroad in very far off places not accessible by train or boat (or at east difficult) I think some people ration their visits either because of lack of income, time or in some instances for the planet.

BHA now have a Green Group but I don't know what they do exactly.

Nick

#5 Post by Nick » June 21st, 2008, 11:27 am

As I understand it, the BHA Green group exists to liaise with the Green Party to promote humanist issues, not to promote green issues within humanism. At least I damn well hope so!

clayto

#6 Post by clayto » June 23rd, 2008, 11:14 am

At my request the Green Group has now been correctly placed with other Party Groups in the list of BHA Groups. So far it does not appear to be active in any way.

Chris
clayto

Nick

#7 Post by Nick » June 23rd, 2008, 6:15 pm

Nick wrote:As I understand it, the BHA Green group exists to liaise with the Green Party to promote humanist issues, not to promote green issues within humanism. At least I damn well hope so!
Let me add, this has nothing to do with the policies or objectives of the Greens, many of which I applaud. It's just that the BHA should be promoting humanist objectives, without involving themselves in other issues, some of which will find disagreement within humanism. There is plenty for the BHA to do. :)

Emma Woolgatherer

#8 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » June 24th, 2008, 2:19 pm

I have noticed that there aren't many threads about environmental issues in Think Humanism, apart from in the HVG forum, and that seems a bit of a shame, because I would imagine a lot of non-veggies steer clear of this place (with notable exceptions, of course :) ). Gregory's question about transport is an interesting one in the context of the need to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, but it's one we all have to grapple with, not just vegetarians. I was going to ask if the thread could be moved somewhere else, but I wasn't sure where. It seems relevant both to Ethics and to Science. For me, the environment is such a huge issue that I feel it warrants a sub-forum all to itself. But if there's a more sensible place to discuss things like climate change, both the science of it and the ethics, from a humanistic perspective, then I'd be happy to be pointed towards it.

Ta.

Emma

clayto

#9 Post by clayto » June 24th, 2008, 3:54 pm

It has been interesting to see how the green / environmental case for vegetarianism has blossomed recently, here and elsewhere. Some HVG members are 'green' veggies rather than ethical veggies. Of course you can be veggie for a variety of reasons and it is not necessarily the case that one reason will dominate for any individual but it is the case for vegetarianism based on humanist ethics (Peter Singer and others) which inspired this Group.

I have been surprised that a Humanist Environmental Group or Forum or Section of a Forum has not been set up yet --- as distinct from the Green (Party) Group. It wold be a way of reaching out to a significant growing part of the population.

Chris
clayto

clayto

#10 Post by clayto » June 25th, 2008, 3:09 pm

'would', not 'wold'
clayto

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#11 Post by gregory » June 28th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Yes I think a separte environmental section would be good. After all we only have one life to lead and our grandchildren have only one life to live and I want them not to have to put up with too much flooding etc.

Yes I know what its like - one types in a comment and then whoops a spelling mistake I've done it myself.

I wonder if there is a word called wold and I wonder if it is ancient Anglo Saxon.