INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

DIET AND THE NHS

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

DIET AND THE NHS

#1 Post by gregory » August 16th, 2008, 5:11 pm

I read somewhere that dairy and beef can be partly the cause of familial breast cancer.

If this is the case should not the NHS, schools and government be helping families to stop using these products in their diet. Just think maybe children are still given school milk.

Come to think of it I have two grand-daughters. I am now going to ask their mum if she will reduce the beef and dairy in their diet or alternatively as for further information.

I have not eaten meat for some time but I have taken dairy I do not suppose it is the whole answer to preventing the disease though.

maybe Emma Woolgatherer could help here.

Maybe Rami has some facts as he is a committed vegan

How reliable is the Vegan Society. A few years ago I did not think the Vegetarian Society was entirely truthful the Vegan Society may be the same.

I think we need a doctor to answer but even they can be biased.
There'll be blue birds over
The white cliffs of Dover

Nick

Re: DIET AND THE NHS

#2 Post by Nick » August 16th, 2008, 7:49 pm

gregory wrote: Just think maybe children are still given school milk.
I'm not sure where you've been these past 37 years, Gregory, but Thatcher the Snatcher did away with free school milk in 1971. OTOH, (had you known), it's nice you think she seems to have done something right.... :laughter:
gregory wrote:Come to think of it I have two grand-daughters. I am now going to ask their mum if she will reduce the beef and dairy in their diet or alternatively as for further information.
I know I am not a reliable source of advice on family matters, but as Sargent Wilson may have said "do you think that's wise...?" Not from the dietary point of view, but in the hope of good relations with the next generation. But what do I know. :shrug:

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#3 Post by gregory » August 23rd, 2008, 11:14 am

Hello Nick

Yes I know Milk Snatcher took away school milk but in Scotland for a while children in primary have had the option to buy milk for their break and it has been to some extent encouraged.

Do not worry I was not bossing my daughter about re her reducing beef only just giving her information so she can look into it for herself.

She does eat Quorn sometimes but this is mostly because a few years ago she had gall bladder trouble and this is caused by eating too much fat. Quorn is quite low in fat or at least I think she was told and it is less fatty than a fatty peice of meat with chips fried in beef dripping. Anyway she is still alive thankfully.

Lots of children do take packed lunches to school now as meals are expensive and its often working parents who find school meals expensive as the ones on benefit get school meals free.

LilacHamster

#4 Post by LilacHamster » August 23rd, 2008, 1:59 pm

Milk is full of pus cells anyway and many people find it gives them more mucus, I think Thatcher (inadvertently) might have done kids a favour.
School milk is still available and it is subsidised unlike the plantmilk alternatives so there is still discrimination against vegan families

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#5 Post by gregory » August 30th, 2008, 11:21 am

Hopefully schools won't encourage non-organic soya

caira111

#6 Post by caira111 » January 18th, 2009, 11:10 pm

well my friend there are many things that can cause you breast cancer. But in practice and real world it's not possible to maintain all these restrictions in our life. I even heard in a TV show that breathing in city may cause you lung cancer. so should all get out of the city?

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#7 Post by gregory » January 24th, 2009, 11:45 am

Yes I know one cannot avoid everything in life which can be injurious to health. I think people are trying to clean the air up in cities. Some people can be more prone to types of illness than others though. What do you think of the ban of cigarette smoking in public places?

getreal

#8 Post by getreal » January 24th, 2009, 4:34 pm

I think before anyone restricts some common foodstuffs from their diet it would be wise to look critically at the evidence for doing this.

More often than not it is slim to nil.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.