INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Life You Can Save

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

clayto

The Life You Can Save

#1 Post by clayto » March 30th, 2009, 6:44 pm

I have copied this here because Singer is, as well as a Humanist philosopher, a leading figure in the worldwide vegetarian and animal welfare movement and well known to supporters of HVG. However, I suggest any discussion should be continued in the Positive Humanism Forum.

The Life You Can Save

Leading Humanist philosopher Peter Singer has just published a book which is more than a book, it is an attempt to change the culture of how we view contributing to charities which fight world poverty. The book is accompanied by a campaigning website, forums and blogs at http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/index.html. The website includes an online calculator to show how much you should be contributing if poverty is to be defeated.

In his Times Online Review Humanist philosopher A.C. Grayling says of Singer: "His book has a thoroughly practical purpose: to persuade people that it is wrong not to give charitably - wrong, note. We all know that it is good to give, but his point is that it is positively wrong not to - and to show by a snowstorm of facts and figures how much we should give if we are to take this obligation seriously." http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 943875.ece

Chris
clayto

jaywhat

Re: The Life You Can Save

#2 Post by jaywhat » March 31st, 2009, 11:36 am

Very interesting Chris, I saw it on BHA forum. I like Singer.