INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

What would make you believe in God?

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
kbell

What would make you believe in God?

#1 Post by kbell » July 4th, 2007, 5:42 pm

We've got to have something about God or religion on here, havent we?

No doubt the first question in some people's minds would be 'define God'. OK - It's the benevolent, omnipotent Creator of the popular imagination. What would be enough to shake your non-faith?

For me, a talking snake would be the minimum.

Supposing he appeared in front of you claiming to be God. What would you ask him to do to prove his identity?

Titanium Wheels

#2 Post by Titanium Wheels » July 4th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Could anything do this? I mean, in this scientific age anything that happens gets closely examined by science until a suitable explanation is given. We are no longer like earlier eras when a solar eclipse would do. I'm pretty suer anything that god could come up with could be explained in some way.

A talking snake would be quite cool, though, by you have better hold it, Autumn as I am none to happy around snakes.
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

Nick

#3 Post by Nick » July 4th, 2007, 6:42 pm

In the days when the BHA forum was open to non members, a similar question was posed by a christian, which produced the reply (I forget who from) "How about Jesus descending onto the White House lawn, surrounded by a choir of angels". After all, he's had nearly 2000 years to recover from his last outing. Of course he'd probably to zapped by the US airforce before he'd had a chance to make a safe landing.

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » July 4th, 2007, 6:52 pm

I would believe in God if she enabled amputees to grow new limbs, you know? like the fiddler crab does, she (God) says shellfish are an abomination, yet lets them grow new limbs, she can't think much of us!
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Lifelinking

#5 Post by Lifelinking » July 4th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Damn, I looked in on this thread hoping there might be some sort of incentive on offer. You know the sort of thing, a buy one deity get one deity free sort of thing.. :wink:

Zoe

#6 Post by Zoe » July 5th, 2007, 11:03 am

This thread cracks me up!
wheels5894 wrote:Could anything do this? I mean, in this scientific age anything that happens gets closely examined by science until a suitable explanation is given. We are no longer like earlier eras when a solar eclipse would do. I'm pretty suer anything that god could come up with could be explained in some way.

Well, I'm sure that's true but that wouldn't preclude the possibility of the apparition before us being God. To believe that he is God, I would obviously require that he agree to submit to all the required scientific tests. But what would be they be testing for? If I asked him to magic up a plague of locusts, say, and he did it before my eyes and later pulled the same trick under laboratory conditions - would that being enough to convince people that he made the whole universe?

Titanium Wheels

#7 Post by Titanium Wheels » July 5th, 2007, 11:11 am

Well, Zoe, you are quite right and if, as you suggest, God turned up it would be a bit hard to prove much scientifically. However, I was imagining a rather more subtle way that we might see evidence of God. After all, the religionists tell us that hiding from people allows them to have the enviable characteristic of faith; belief with no evidence.

But surely, Zoe, there must be something that would make you believe in God if it turned up, such as a talking snake? What might it be?
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

Nick

#8 Post by Nick » July 5th, 2007, 11:19 am

How about a 30 day free trial of heaven, with a sanity-back guarantee?

Lifelinking

#9 Post by Lifelinking » July 5th, 2007, 11:55 am

George Carlin has a great theory about why some folk believe things that are frankly, well silly (Angels, Goblins, Zombies....).

Be warned, the language is ripe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVhO-7t52tY

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » July 5th, 2007, 12:25 pm

Nick wrote:How about a 30 day free trial of heaven, with a sanity-back guarantee?
How about a 30 day free trial of hell instead - much more interesting people there!

Nick

#11 Post by Nick » July 5th, 2007, 12:33 pm

Alan Henness wrote:How about a 30 day free trial of hell instead - much more interesting people there!
Not only might hell be a trifle hot, but I'd be quite keen to try out the 72 virgins in heaven..... I think I'd need a breather after 30 days, though :grin:

jaywhat

#12 Post by jaywhat » July 6th, 2007, 5:48 am

I think 'virgins' is a miss-translation, for 'grapes' or something - and I had 72 of them yesterday.

Nothing at all would make me believe in any sort of god or any sort of supernatural being of any sort. No event in my life, no unexplainable 'miracle', nothing. I can assure you there is no such thing and that it is a wate of time talking or even thinking about it.

If there is such a silly thing as a god I would have to be struck down dead to re ............................................

Alan H

#13 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2007, 7:41 am

Jaywhat RIP...

scogirl

#14 Post by scogirl » July 6th, 2007, 9:54 am

I think a worldwide end to suffering - no droughts/floods/hurricanes/food shortages would be a start.

This is a very good question, but I don't really know what would make me believe.

Perhaps if my prayers had been answered in the past, I would believe now. As I don't pray anymore, I guess I'll never have the chance for them to be answered.

Alan C.

#15 Post by Alan C. » July 6th, 2007, 9:54 am

Every night before I have my shower, I check the bath for spiders and remove them, last night there was the tiniest spider I've ever seen, the size of a grain of rice (short grain) I got it on my finger and set it on the floor, as it scurried away under the bath panel I thought........................I wonder if it 's looking back at me and thinking, yes there is a God.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

God
Banned

#16 Post by God » July 7th, 2007, 1:39 am

Just noticed this thread.

The thing is, of course, that believing in and worshipping Me is the easy thing. That's the whole point of the game you see - 'cos the reality is that humans can only become truly saved by GIVING UP GOD.

Its a paradox game.

1) I am God
2) I play a game
3) The game is that Humanity can go on living forever under one condition
4) The condition is to GIVE UP GOD

Tricky huh!

DougS

#17 Post by DougS » July 7th, 2007, 10:03 am

God wrote:Its a paradox game.

1) I am God
2) I play a game
3) The game is that Humanity can go on living forever under one condition
4) The condition is to GIVE UP GOD

Tricky huh!
My head hurts...or was it the (several) pints of lager last night?

severus

what would make you believe in god

#18 Post by severus » July 9th, 2007, 11:34 pm

Well for heavens sake,
There’s so many gods these days that its sooo! difficult to choose. Does this god go with those shoes, does that god co-ordinate with this blouse. I mean can you imagine the embarrassment of being seen out in last year’s god, can you imagine walking into a night club wearing the wrong god, they’re not staring at your shoes girlfriend.
and what about keeping up with the beautiful people, i mean how do we know what god madonna is wearing this season. and what do you do with your old gods once they've gone out of fashion. i mean you could just give them away to charity but then people would know what kind of gods you've been wearing and what if they tell the press, 'have you seen what deity they were in to last year, i mean!!!?' splashed all over vogue wearing a pair of flared gods?, i'd rather die
it's just soooo difficult.
i think it's best just to have a good versatile god, somethig simple in black or white that could go with any shoes and could do a wedding or a funeral, nothing showy, nothing too frilly or those pictures of you in your old gods could come back to haunt you in ten or twenty years time

Firebrand

#19 Post by Firebrand » July 10th, 2007, 12:23 pm

:grin: I sense you're not taking the question entirely seriously, Sev.

Nothing would make me believe in the god of the popular imagination but certain things do make me believe in something more. I can't articulate what those things are, they certainly don't amount to evidence.

God
Banned

#20 Post by God » July 16th, 2007, 10:52 am

I have this idea about going back deep inside my mind (meditation I suppose) and eventually getting to this place where my subjective consciousness merges with everyone else's, so everyone at that stage is one big collective glob of subjectivity. This would be I suppose the "mind of god".

Looked at the other way around, it would be like a multiple personality, one mind split into a great many individual minds each of which comprises an individual.

I have felt it, and have argued for something like it (as a proposition or theory, not for real) in the Old Place, but I don't actually believe it. I can envisage the possibility however (of believing it, or something like it). If I came to, however, I suspect it might wear off pretty quickly. Hope so!