INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Who wants to kill Wikileaks creator Julian Assange?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
thundril

Who wants to kill Wikileaks creator Julian Assange?

#1 Post by thundril » December 1st, 2010, 10:25 pm

Mike Huckabee calls for death penalty for Julian Lasange. A Canadian government advisor suggests assassination by drone plane. Does this make the allegations of rape less believable? Is there any chance that the President of the USA might comment on the legality of Huckabee's recommendation?

Alan H

Re: Who wants to kill Wikileaks creator Julian Lasange?

#2 Post by Alan H » December 2nd, 2010, 12:51 am

Huckabee said:
Whoever in our government leaked that information is guilty of treason, and I think anything less than execution is too kind a penalty.
Under the traditional rules of engagement he is thus subject to summary execution and my preferred course of action would [be] for Assange to find a small calibre round in the back of his head.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

philbo

#3 Post by philbo » December 2nd, 2010, 10:35 am

When Huckabee says "Whoever in our government leaked that information is guilty of treason, and I think anything less than execution is too kind a penalty." he can't be talking about Lassange (who isn't the person who leaked the information, isn't an American so can't be guilty of treason).

The calls by right-wingers for him to be executed for espionage are, well, rather stupid, IMHO (but not exactly surprising)

Does anyone else find the whole saga rather disappointingly banal? All these "confidential" cables that didn't say anything even remotely unexpected.

Edit to add: Mick "I believe in miracles" Huckabee? Surely he should believe that God will smite whoever did this?

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » December 2nd, 2010, 11:34 am

Though I have not read them and base my comments to those leaks covered by the press, I found them rather dissapointing. I was expecting to be astounded by the revelations, instead (as philbo said) they are nothing more than what we have come to expect from governments and people in "high" places (seems like Andrew has inherited his dad's talent for speaking before the brain is engaged.)

I would love to know who was reponsible for the leaks, though.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

philbo

#5 Post by philbo » December 2nd, 2010, 12:12 pm

getreal wrote:I would love to know who was reponsible for the leaks, though.
Was reading that half a million people have access to the "secret" network on which the data resided.. and they've arrested a private. Don't know how authoritative those stories are, though.

seyorni

#6 Post by seyorni » December 2nd, 2010, 12:16 pm

Frankly I think a little less secrecy might be a good thing. Political propaganda and skulduggery lay the foundation for tyranny and exploitation by special interests.
Secrecy is antithetical to a free and open society.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » December 2nd, 2010, 12:23 pm

What Seyorni said.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#8 Post by Nick » December 2nd, 2010, 2:05 pm

Sadly, the world is not that simple. An open society may be a good objective, but sometimes confidentiality is essential. An example of that would be the early talks which led to the Good Friday Agreement. Likewise, an ambassador should be able to warn the PM (say) that President X is not to be trusted, without his opinion becoming common knowledge. If, as has been reported, China is agreeable to a re-unification of Korea, I think a fair bit of confidential spade-work would be a good idea, or else the Kingdom of Kim, repressive though it is, may disintegrate into anarchy.

philbo

#9 Post by philbo » December 2nd, 2010, 2:56 pm

Nick wrote:.. the Kingdom of Kim...
Has a nice ring to it.. but it's not very close. Could we call it the "Kingdom of Far Kim"?

animist

#10 Post by animist » December 2nd, 2010, 3:08 pm

Nick wrote:Sadly, the world is not that simple. An open society may be a good objective, but sometimes confidentiality is essential. An example of that would be the early talks which led to the Good Friday Agreement. Likewise, an ambassador should be able to warn the PM (say) that President X is not to be trusted, without his opinion becoming common knowledge. If, as has been reported, China is agreeable to a re-unification of Korea, I think a fair bit of confidential spade-work would be a good idea, or else the Kingdom of Kim, repressive though it is, may disintegrate into anarchy.
well, I wonder what life would be like if nothing actually could be kept secret for long. Of course, in the real world as it now is, there have been times when secrecy proved its worth, but would openness not make planning war and other undesirable actions virtually impossible?

Ken H

#11 Post by Ken H » December 2nd, 2010, 3:53 pm

I would expect there is far more going on then those wikileaks "revelations". I'm sure the important stuff is well encrypted.

Death penalty for Lasange? How about making him listen to Huckabee's band perform Freebird a few times!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkeflmkFCj0
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

animist

#12 Post by animist » December 2nd, 2010, 4:02 pm

Ken H wrote:I would expect there is far more going on then those wikileaks "revelations". I'm sure the important stuff is well encrypted.

Death penalty for Lasange? How about making him listen to Huckabee's band perform Freebird a few times!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkeflmkFCj0
glad there are Americans like you, Ken

thundril

#13 Post by thundril » December 2nd, 2010, 4:26 pm

Nick wrote:Sadly, the world is not that simple. An open society may be a good objective, but sometimes confidentiality is essential. An example of that would be the early talks which led to the Good Friday Agreement. Likewise, an ambassador should be able to warn the PM (say) that President X is not to be trusted, without his opinion becoming common knowledge. If, as has been reported, China is agreeable to a re-unification of Korea, I think a fair bit of confidential spade-work would be a good idea, or else the Kingdom of Kim, repressive though it is, may disintegrate into anarchy.
Quite true, Nick. Confidentiality has its place, and is sometimes vital. That's a long way from saying that people who break confidentiality, in however foolish of harmful a manner, should be executed.

Nick

#14 Post by Nick » December 2nd, 2010, 5:12 pm

Indeed, Thundril. No-one should be executed.

animist

#15 Post by animist » December 2nd, 2010, 5:22 pm

philbo wrote:
Nick wrote:.. the Kingdom of Kim...
Has a nice ring to it.. but it's not very close. Could we call it the "Kingdom of Far Kim"?
as my daughter is another Kim, I would prefer "the Queendom of Kim"; it would, however, be a quite a korea move for her

Dave B

#16 Post by Dave B » December 2nd, 2010, 8:25 pm

I agree with Nick as well. Trouble is that though the leaders know damn well these things get said and (as Putin implied) their release into the public domain may provoke denials and cause policy changes, especially in those countries where "face" is important.

China, a country where "face" was once of extreme importance, is on a cusp, balanced on an edge between its old modes of thought and its need to grow its markets. I cannot afford N. Korea as an "ally" or an "enemy", dumping the problem on the South would be a good move for them, it will cost billions just to house and feed the people, let alone build a viable infrastructure. But the change-over would need a diplomatic and political delicacy of procedure that the revelations have possibly damaged.

Hmm, the Americans would come in heavy, who wants a potentially nuclear capable S. Korea?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#17 Post by Nick » December 2nd, 2010, 10:39 pm

animist wrote:as my daughter is another Kim, I would prefer "the Queendom of Kim"; it would, however, be a quite a korea move for her
I wouldn't like her Tibet on it.....

getreal

#18 Post by getreal » December 2nd, 2010, 10:46 pm

Shouldn't that be North Korea, Dave?

and in normal circumstances I am firmly against the death penalty, however, for posting that link, Ken......
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#19 Post by Dave B » December 3rd, 2010, 10:56 am

Shouldn't that be North Korea, Dave?
getreal, I was thinking of South Korea taking over responsibility for North Korea and thus gaining access to the N.K. nuclear plants etc. Though S.K. is a stable country that has concentrated (when not disturbed by N.K.) on making itself one of the top electronic researchers and manufacturers I cannot see the Yanks, or the Chinese, liking the idea of them gaining nuclear capability.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Carja

#20 Post by Carja » December 6th, 2010, 6:27 pm

All those email nicknames for the leaders of certain countries made me wonder what email nicknames the leaders of those very countries have for our leader and other higher ups. :D I'd love to know what they are. It's Monday and I need a good laugh. :)

As far as execution goes, anyone ought to have more sense than to post something on the Internet that they don't expect might be released to the world wide public some day. And Huckabee is a far right wing fool.
Laugh often/love much;leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child,a garden patch,or a redeemed social condition;play w/enthusiasm & sing w/exultation;know even 1 life has breathed easier because you lived. This is success.B.A.Stanley